Death Spectre and Questing Knight

25 06 2016

SDE Death Spectre (Miniboss) and Questing Knight (Hero)

I liked the original color scheme so I kept it. I tried to make the death spectre glow green using the airbrush. I’m not sure how successful it was. Please add comments if you have suggestions on how to improve it.

Death SpectreQuesting KnightIMG_20160603_173905174IMG_20160603_173935811IMG_20160603_173950749





American Werewolf

25 06 2016

Super Dungeon Explore Von Wilder

Von Wilder Card.jpg

The card art has the character look purple, but I wanted my figure to look more natural, so I chose gray and skin tones.

I had a fun time experimenting with the airbrush and trying to make the skin tones look more real.

What I did was start with a very red base coat. The next layer was more red-brown color. The final layers were the flesh tones. I think that the red simulates the blood vessels beneath the skin. Otherwise your skin tones look too ashen with grey/white/ or black primer.

Final picture needs a topcoat of matte finish.





Angry Bear WIP

5 04 2013

pic1495823  ilovephoto-871510

This is the card for the “Angry Bear” hero that comes with the game. I wanted to paint him close to the art, but with a little mix of polar bear (the mouth is black).

2013-03-13 10.31.56

So first off I sprayed him with white primer.

2013-03-13 23.41.43 2013-03-17 23.18.05 2013-03-18 16.57.22

Next I gave him a base coat of Citadel “snakebite leather”. You may be wondering why I painted him brown if he’s going to be white. Well, he’d look pretty one dimensional if he was entirely white. It wouldn’t give me the ability to add shadows or highlights. Plus, if you look carefully at a polar bear you’ll see that they aren’t pure white.

The coat of the bear is a mix of white with Citadel paint “bleached bone”

I did the base coat of the chains with Vallejo “parasite brown” (what colorful names… har har har!)

2013-04-04 14.20.39

My attempt at “non-metalic metal”, using only flat paints to depict the shadows and highlights real metal has. You’ll notice that the left manacle is flat yellow, while the right one looks “shiny”. I have to say that this process has been very frustrating. I don’t have very good pictures of the stages because I had to redo it so many times. I’m still not entirely satisfied with it, but I think I just need more practice.

To make the gradients I used (from dark to light) Vallejo “charred brown”, Citadel “snakebite leather”, 50/50 mix snakebite and Vallejo “scrofulous brown”, scrofulous brown, 50/50 mix scrofulous and Vallejo “sun yellow”, sun yellow, 50/50 mix sun yellow and white, and final highlights with plain white.

The trick to it is getting a really smooth transition in your gradient. mixing this many paints together can be a bother. I wish I had more skill using a wet palate. Oh well!

More pictures to come!