1/100 HG Gundam Nataku Ver. EW

22 02 2014

2014-02-22 00.12.56

2014-02-22 10.13.01 2014-02-22 00.13.33


Laser Beams and Outerspezz

22 02 2014

2014-02-22 00.12.47

This Gundam model took me 5+ years to finally get around to finishing. It took some motivation from my friends who recently have gotten crazy into gunpla. This is a 1/100 scale HG Nataku Endless Waltz version.


Gundams come on plastic sprues sometimes called “runners”. The plastic is a little brittle, so I don’t cut off too close the part because that sometimes tears off a chunk of the piece. It’s much better to leave a stub and then sand it down.



After cleaning the stubs and seam lines off of the pieces, the next step is to spray the pieces. I mask off the joints and poly caps so that the extra paint will not create future fit issues.


I use a Badger double action siphon feeding airbrush with a Iwata air compressor.  When spraying the pieces I use bbq skewers with alligator clips attached to the end (I bought mine at jo-ann fabric). I don’t have any place to spray indoors, so here you can see my garage. The only disadvantage is that I am a bit dependent on weather. I can’t spray when it’s raining or snowing, or too hot or cold, or humid…*sigh* New England weather can be fickle so good spray days are unpredictable. Sometimes it can be a few weeks before I’m able to spray again.

2014-01-15 14.32.16

It’s not necessary to use an airbrush. You can use a spray can, but an airbrush gives you greater control over the amount of paint you use and the flow rate. I use it to shade the pieces to give them a more realistic finish. I pre-shaded the pieces black and then sprayed color on them.

The last step that I did with this model was to do the panel lines with an oil wash. I use tamiya acrylics to spray, and future floor polish to seal it. Both are water based and will help oil paints flow into the seams and cracks. This helps give definition to the lines on the panels. You can see it here on the face and legs.

2014-01-28 21.40.36

The HG version of this model is pretty simple. While it does have some good detail, there are many places where there are very ugly seams. One is right in the middle of the shins of the leg. I used green stuff to fill the gap and sanded it until it was smooth. I then took a hobby knife and re-scored the panel lines again. I think it turned out well. You can barely tell that there was a gap there.

2014-02-22 10.11.16

Here’s the finished model below.

2014-02-22 00.14.21